Friday, January 11, 2008

My first letter...

It was nearly a year ago when I wrote this powerful letter to my breast cancer. I decided it was too important not to share with others.

Dear Cancer,

You've had your way with me for quite some time, now it's time for you to leave. Pack your bags and get your lousy, destructive cells OUT of my body. I want it back, I reclaim that which is mine, and you will NOT have it. There is no option, just get out! It is not yours to take!

First of all, I want you out of my bone marrow. My bone marrow will regrow and reclaim the space it deserves to function properly. You will not crowd it out any longer, and therefore I will no longer be anemic and require shots. I am tired of your threats and of fighting you and I demand that you leave. NOW! You will not creep your seething tendrils of death any further into my bones. Instead, you will retreat. Get out!

Get out of my breasts. My breasts are mine, not yours. What right do you have to take them? None, that's what. What is it with you and causing pain anyway? Why do you get your rocks off snatching people's lives from them?

Don't you see I can't be stopped by your destruction? I heard there was an exit at the bottom of my foot and you are to go there immediately and get out. Catch the next bus to nowhere and never bother me again. For over two years you have tried to ruin my life and kill me, but don't you see you have done just the opposite? While you have occupied my body and tried to take over my life, I have learned how precious life is, but my lesson is well-learned and I no longer need you as my evil teacher. So you will just go.

Don't you see how I have triumphed over you already? Instead of cowering from you, I spit in your face. You think you can weigh me down, squash me like a bug and that be the end of it. It's not gonna happen. I already beat the odds by getting to this point with so little medical intervention, so take your lousy cells and go. Get out of my life!

No comments: